The Tashichhoe Dzong is a Buddhists monastery. It is on the northern edge of Thimphu and next to the bank of the Thimphu chhu river .Mainly it has been the seat of Bhutan Government since 1952 and presently it is houses the throne rooms and offices of the king, the secretariat and the ministries of home affairs and finance.
The Memorial Chorten is a monument to the third Druk Gyalpo and to the world peace. It was built in 1974. It is located in the southern-central part of the city .The Chorten literally means "Seat of faith".
In 1629 Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal built a small dzong in Thimphu, called Simtokha Dzong.It is a historical monument and former Buddhist monastery. Today it is an institute of the Dzongkha language and cultures studies.
It was built in 1967 under the patronage HM Queen Ashi Phuntso Choden (1911–2003) for the purpose of “preservation and promotion of the rich cultural and religious heritage" Bhutan. At earlier time the library housed within the center tower of Tashichodzong with the few precious texts and after increasing the texts collection was shifted at Changgangkha area of Thimphu .The library building is in the style of traditional temple.
Initially the Institute of traditional medicine was opened in the name of "Indigenous Dispensary". Then after it was moved Sherzhong Lam from Dechencholing in Thimphu, It was renamed many times like the ‘National Indigenous Hospital’,’ the National Institute of Traditional Medicine’ and after 1998 it is known by ‘Traditional Medicine Services (ITMS)’. The rural people of Bhutan were using their knowledge of herbal medicine in their homely treatments from many years. So in 1967 the king started the system to preserve the Bhutanese tradition culture of herbal medicine through the institute. In 1979 the World Health Organization also joined to help the institution to develop and popularize the traditional medicine.
Folk Heritage Museum is in Kawajangsa. It was established in 2001. It has collections of traditional Bhutanese objects, tools, equipments but by the tradition of hot stone bath reveals the traditional Bhutanese culture of Bhutan. Now It is also popular in other country.
It is the largest domestic market for the farmers of the Bhutan. It is held on every Saturday and Sunday. It is near of Thimphu Chhu River below the main city.
The full form of BBS is ‘Bhutan Broadcasting Service’. It is the only national radio and television broadcasting service in Bhutan. The Thimphu valley looks beautiful from the point.
Takin is a national animal of Bhutan. The Takin preserve place is known as a Takin mini zoo. It is at Motithang district of Thimphu.
The Zorig Chusum is an institute of arts & crafts. The institute completes their training on thirteen traditional arts and crafts within six years. Initially it was introduce by Terton Pema Lingpa in 15th centaury and then after passed down through generations. Today Craft like painting, carving, weaving bamboo work, leather work etc are also the main source of income a family.
It is situated at Drukgyal in Paro. The Dzong called’ The fortress of victory’. In 17th century to celebrate the victory over the Tibetan invaders Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal had ordered to build the fort. Now only the ruins are remain in the place after the destruction of fire 1950.
The meaning of Ta Dzong means’ watch fort’. It is located about 500 ft from Rinpong Dzong. Actually the reason to build the fort was to watch the Ring Pung Dzong and also to protect the fort from the invasions of Tibet and India. It is in circular shape.
The monastery was built in 1692 by Gyalse Tenzin Rabgye. People say about the monastery that in 8th centaury Guru Padmasambhava flew to this site on tigress to subdue a local demon. He did meditation for 3yrs over there. Infact, in Bhutan the Buddhism was also introduced by him.
Kyichu monastery or Kyichu Lhakhang is actually composed of two temples. First temple was built in 7th centaury by the Tibetan king Songsten Gampo. It was a small structure at the time of establishment. Many Gurus, Saints, lamas came to visit there during years passed by and also they made blessed and splendor to the monastery. They were Guru Rinpoche, Lam Kha Nga, and Phajo Dugom Zhigpo etc. By some of them were expanded the monastery with new statues and structures. Among them the royal queen mother Ashi Kezang Choden Wangchuk is very important person. She had built the second temple in original pattern in 1968
Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal built a fort named Paro Rinpong Dzong in 1646. It is a largest Drukpa Kagyu Buddhist monastery. Today, it is a Government Administrative Offices and the district Monastic Body of Paro Dzongkhag.
It is known by the name of 'cultural and national museum' in Bhutan. The third king Jigme Dorji Wangchuk had ordered to set up the museum in the renovated ancient building ‘Ta Dzong ‘. The museum has collections about 3000 Bhutanese arts, master pieces bronze statues, paintings and including Bhutan’s cultural heritage etc.
The Dzong of Punakha was built by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal in 1637-38. It is a second oldest & second largest dzong in Bhutan. It was a administrative centre and Government seat of Bhutan till 1955.
Jakar is one of the largest dzong in central Bhutan. It is also known as ‘Castle of the white bird’ according to the Jakar’s foundation myth. It is situated ‘on a ridge above Jakar town in the Chamkhar valley of Bumthang’. It had built in 1549 by the Tibetan Lam Nagi Wangchuk as a monastery. When he came in power after 1646 it was upgrade into dzong by Zhabdrung. The Dzong is erect with circumference of more than 1500mtr (4900ft).
'Kurjey' means ’body imprint’ and 'Lhakhang' means ’Temple /Monastery’. It is known as Kurjey Monastery too. The monastery has a spiritual and sacred importance in Bhutan history. The monastery comprises three temples and surrounded by the 108 chortens wall.
It is located on the way of Tang village. It is also one of the holy place of Bhutan .It is related with the Terton Pema Lingpa reincarnation of Guru Rinpoche. Mebar Tsho called ‘Lake of burning fire’ too. The myth behind the title was, in 15th centaury Pema Lingpa saw a vision that Guru Rinpoche had said about treasure under water. So he followed that vision. He was go down under the water with a butter burning lamp to find the treasure which was centuries earlier hidden by Guru Rinpoche. After then a long gap he was came back with holding his chest and a scroll of paper in his hand. But the lamp of his hand was still burning. Even from the place he had found many other hidden treasures.
The temple was built by Bhutanese Saint Pema Lingpa in 1501. It is also a most significant Nyingmapa temple in country. It is situated opposite of Kurjey temple on the other side of the river. Today Lhakhang has purpose to support helpless, economically poor people for education. And also they are performing religious services for community by its own self.
The Tibetan king Songsten Gampo had built the temple in 659AD (7th centaury) . It is located on the way to the Kurjey Lhakhang. It is also a Chorten among 108 chortens. It was built to protect from evil spirits and the Himalayan region.
The dzong, built in 1647 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. It was called before' Chokhor Rabstenste Dzong 'in short ‘Choetse Dzong’. It was situated on mountain spur high above the gorges of the Mangde Chhu. Actually, it was erected to replace a temple which was built by Drukpa Kagyu lama, Ngagi Wangchuk son of Ngawang Chhojey (his great grandson was Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal) in 1543. Due to the strategic location of place it was an important administrative Dzong for Wangchuk Dynasty. Even the entire kings were crowned as king from the Trongsa Dzong.